I have been reading the book, “One Thousand Gifts” by Ann Voskamp. I have just a couple of chapters to go, but it is such a great book to remind me to give thanks in all things. Give thanks when I want to, when I do not feel like it. God calls us over and over in his word to give thanks. And something that Ann has learned on her journey to giving thanks; she feels joy when she thanks God for everything. I am not sure about you, but I love to have joy in my life! God wants us to have joy in our lives! I am just starting this journey of learning to be on my knees in thanksgiving! But since today is Thanksgiving; I thought it would be a good start to my giving thanks.
1. That I have a bible in my own language (many people groups do not)
2. That I can freely worship my Lord and Savior (about 30 countries are persecuted for their believing in Jesus Christ)
3. That God is God and I am not (I love this statement from a song…how true…my life would be a mess if I tried to be God in my life).
4. That God saw my need for a Savior! That he would send his one and only son, for a sinner like me. That I am saved by the saving power of Jesus Christ!
5. For my husband’s care and attention to me and the kids
6. The laughter that we experience as a family! It always feels so good!
7. We have a warm house this fall/winter season! We have the money to pay for the heating bills
8. That I have appliances that make running a household much easier
9. Good food to eat everyday!
10. Gas in our cars to get us where we want/need to go
11. Greg’s great job which provide the resources to supply us with our needs and wants
12. Taking a baby/toddler out of the bath and snuggles that follow
13. Having Leah be such a big helper to mommy around the house
14. The ability to home school my children in a state that makes it so easy!
15. I am thankful to the homeschooling families who fought for the rights to do so!
16. Family Bible time together in the evenings
17. Great friendships that help to encourage me in my life
18. Playdates for the kids (and the moms get a chance to talk and catch up)
19. The internet at my finger tips…I can look up a recipe, stay in touch with friends, and listen to all my favorite music on you tube!
20. My cell phone!
21. Family vacations with Greg’s parents
22. Listening to Focus on the Family and Family Talk broadcasts daily!
23. The wonderful backyard for us to explore, play, and appreciate God’s beautiful design!
24. A play set that was given to us for free
25. That we are able to recycle so easily here at our house! We average 1 to 2 bags of garbage a week for a family of 5!
26. That my kids are the best of playmates! They love having each other to play with all the time
27. That I live in a country that fought and still fights for the freedoms we have!
28. The ability to read! So thankful to my first grade teacher for the lessons, so I can have access to so much with this skill
Those are just a few of the blessings that God has blessed me with. There are sooooo many more! I know that I struggle with the blessings that God gives that are not considered blessings by me (sickness, death, hurt, hard times, etc). But if I really trust God’s word and believe that He does all things for our good, then I must understand that everything that happens can be turned around into good. We might not be able to see it in the moment, but in hindsight later we have seen how these trials have deepened our dependence on God and our relationship with Him. Maybe we can learn from one another when faith still shines during the trials. God does not promise that we will never have hard times. In fact, he tells us as Christians, we will have trials to go through.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
I wanted to share some of my thoughts this Thanksgiving!